Colorado Ski Reunion

Every year we try to head out to Whistler, British Columbia because we love the mountains and the ski village mentality but this year we jumped at the chance to visit Erin and Eric in Frisco, Colorado at the same time that Christine and John, who flew in from Houston, Texas. We were all a little surprised that our first reunion since meeting at the Guthy-Jackson Patient Day in November would happen so soon but Erin, Christine and I have become a close team of warriors battling our disease, NMO (Neuromyelitis Optica) together.

This was the first time that Erin and I attempted to take up an old hobby since our diagnosis. I was terrified of the pain and you’ll see my first run was really like the first time again but truth be told, I was more scared of breaking a promise I made to myself a long time ago. Christine took up skiing for the very first time – now that’s courage!

I’m so blessed to have shared this experience with such an amazing support network. You’ll hear us laugh a lot (especially Erin) through our pain, our bad jokes about my butt pads, and John who was so hard core on the mountain he actually ripped the crotch right out of his board pants!

Note: Sorry about some of the bad video footage. I’m still learning how to use my Flip Camera.

YouTube Preview Image
Feb 2011
POSTED BY Jenna
DISCUSSION 6 Comments

1. Grace

The thought of my three wild and crazy NMO Gurlz barreling down the slopes is…….scary!!! So glad that you all had a good time, 🙂

Comment by Grace on February 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm

2. Paula

You should have called me! I’m up, working at the medical center this week! Just glad I didn’t have to X-Ray any broken legs!!

Comment by Paula on March 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm

3. Rachel T

I agree Paula! I was actually up skiing! You girls should have called! I would have loved to see you! I actually completed a double black diamond this weekend at copper! I cant believe it! Not sure why I am so down, things are going well…think I just need some venting! Anyway, I am so glad you all ot on the mountain! That is really awesome!

Comment by Rachel T on March 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

4. Jackie OBrien

To Our Dear Granddaughter Erin and Her Courageous Friends:

Your courage, strength, great good character and love of life shows through in the video of your ski adventures in beautiful Colorado this year. What stunning examples you are for others who share the pain of NMO or any disabling diseases. Your laughter, witty remarks and obvious pride in taking on the challenges you chose are truly an inspiration to all.

So, to you three lovely, brave, young women and your marvelous supporting husbands, we salute you all! Cheers! Enjoy many more years of this companionship and fun.

Defeat the Beast!

Love to each of you,
    Richard and Jackie O’Brien
    Grandparents to Erin and Eric Miller

Comment by Jackie OBrien on March 3, 2011 at 12:07 am

5. Sonia

HI jefita you are such a strong person keep going.

Comment by Sonia on March 4, 2011 at 3:28 am

6. Wendy W

I am in awe. I am amazed. I am also realizing how little I do and that I need to set some goals. Your youth helps though!

Thanks for the inspiration! It was so much fun seeing the fun YOU had!!

Comment by Wendy W on March 4, 2011 at 5:55 am